Friday 21 August 2009

Allotment dinner

The head gardener went to the allotment the other day and was delighted with himself because he was able to get a haul of vegetables to present to the octogenarian mother on her return from the other side of the Atlantic as a "welcome home". He got her courgettes, carrots, potatoes, peas, beetroots and onions. Notwithstanding the fact that she gave me the wrong date for her arrival, she came this morning and was duly delighted with her food! I had also got her groceries from Tesco because we thought she would be tired. I was concerned that she would be tired after a car journey, transatlantic flight, two hour bus journey from Dublin and a train journey from Belfast to Holywood (I had said I would pick her up but she insisted and when the octogenarian mother insists there is no point in arguing). I was concerned because I also knew that she would insist on driving home. I neednt have worried. She spent the flight talking to her new best friend (a lady from Athlone) and sleeping. She said it was her "best flight" from Canada and she was fresh as a daisy and in fact considerably fresher than I was. So that was ok. She was full of tales from Canada about things like driving around in a 1961 vintage chevrolet and watching blindfolded drivers racing vintage Model A and Model T Fords. As you do.

This is the recipe for courgette pasta:

Serves 4
1 kg courgettes sliced finely
Olive oil
salt
3 cloves garlic crushed
2 tablespoonfuls cream
50g parmesan

Heat the oil in the pan.
Add the garlic and salt.
Cook the courgettes GENTLY until they are softened but not browning. This will take at least 20 minutes.
Cook your pasta as required.
Stir the cream into the sauce and heat through.
Stir into pasta and serve.

Brill.

I will not be at the allotment tomorrow as I am spending the day dressed in black hooded cape with my hand up inside a bright purple crow. Hopefully scaring small children.

No comments: