Monday 31 August 2009

Pflaumenkuche von die schwesterin in Deutschland!



Havenm't visited here in a while. In fact we haven't been to the allotment for ages the reason being that we have all been very busy. I have been offered a new job but more on that later as I don't want to tempt fate. In case you are wondering why I am doing this at 1.53 am I can't really sleep. Must be all the excitement. Or maybe the aerobics.

This is the octogenarian mother's recipe for "pflaumenkuche" which was more "inspired" by what she ate whilst visiting die schwesterin in Deutschland und seine familie rather than an actual recipe. Die schwesterin ist very gut at making die kuchen so if die schwesterin or die schwesterin's familie ist ever reading diese they can let me know if there ist anything they would do different!


To get this recipe from her was a fairly tortuous process as she "just makes it" and I have added wee bits and pieces because I am a control freak. So there.

Ingredients:

170 g plain flour
120 g butter
2 tbspns icing sugar
1 egg beaten
2 tbspns ground almonds
2.5 kg plums - halved and stoned

Method:

Mix the flour, butter and 1 tbspn icing sugar to the consistency of breadcrumbs.

Mix egg and 1 tbspn ground almonds

Add to dough, mould into a ball and wrap in greaseproof paper. Leave to rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.

Roll out pastry and cover flan base.

At this point I would blind bake it in the oven but this suggestion produced an indignant "Well you asked me what I would do.............."

Cover pastry with remainder of ground almonds.

Fill pastry with halved plums in circles.

Bake in the oven at 180 for 50 minutes.

Sprinkle toasted almonds and glaze with honey. Return to overn for further ten minutes.

I would also have added ground cinnamon at this point but it was really not worth the argument..............................................

We have all eaten quite a lot of it over the past few days!

The head gardener also made chutney so again recipe to follow.

No comments: